Wild Atlantic Prawns in a rye pancake with leeks, saffron and Pernod cream
Chef: Wild Atlantic Prawns
- 100g rye flour
- 2 eggs
- 300ml of milk
- pinch salt
- butter and oil for frying
- 150g Wild Atlantic Prawns, shelled and defrosted
- 1 small leek, thinly sliced
- 100ml double cream or creme fraiche
- pinch saffron
- 30ml of Pernod
- 25g butter
- Make the pancakes by whisking all ingredients except the oil and butter together.
- Leave the batter to stand for 20 minutes.
- Heat the butter and oil in a non-stick frying pan. Pour a thin layer of batter into the pan, swirling it around so that it covers the pan. Cook on a medium heat until the batter is cooked and beginning to bubble on the top. Release gently and toss. Cook the other side of the pancake.
- Remove to a warm plate and repeat until all the batter is finished. Separate the pancakes with baking parchment to stop them sticking.
- When you are ready to serve, prepare the filling.
- Heat the butter in a heavy bottomed pan Add the sliced leeks and cook very gently until soft and translucent.
- Turn up the heat and add the Pernod. Cook until the liquid has reduced by at least half.
- Reduce the heat and add the double cream and saffron and cook very gently for approximately 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Turn off the heat and add the defrosted Wild Atlantic Prawns. Toss through the sauce until covered and integrated.
- Serve the filling on half of the pancake and fold over. Repeat until all the pancakes are filled.