Prawn, Salmon and Forbidden Rice Kedgeree
Chef: Wild Atlantic Prawns
For the kedgeree
- 200g Wild Atlantic Prawns, defrosted
- 200g salmon fillet
- 120g basmati rice
- 60g black rice (forbidden rice)
- 1 tbps curry paste
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 eggs, hard boiled
- 40g peas
- 1 plum tomato, concassed
- 2 spring onions, sliced long an thin on the bias
- 2 tbsp sultanas
- bunch coriander, chopped
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
For the curry sauce:
- 1/2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp ginger, diced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 125ml whipping cream
- Place the sliced spring onions in a bowl of cold water and place in the fridge to crisp and curl.
- Cook the black rice gently in 120ml of salted water with a lid on until tender, 25minutes
- Cook the basmati rice in boiling salted water until just cooked, then drain in a sieve. Boil the eggs in the same pot for 8 minutes. The tomato can also be blanched at the same time.[Both rice’s the eggs and tomato can all be cooked, prepared in advance]
- Slice half the lemon and add to salted water and bring to the boil, add the salmon fillet, bring back to the boil, cover with a lid and remove from the heat and allow to stand.
To complete the Kedgeree:
- Add the rape seed oil to a pan and sweat the diced onion, add the curry paste and continue to cook gently for 1 minute.
- Next add the peas and sultanas along with the drained basmati and black rice, stir to combine with the onion and curry paste
- Remove the salmon from the water and flake into the rice and fold through, lastly add the prawns, chopped coriander and tomato concasse. Check the seasoning and squeeze over the juice of the half lemon.
For the Curry Sauce:
- Sweat the onion in the oil for 1 minute then add the garlic, ginger and curry powder and continue to sweat for 2 minutes then add the cream and bring to the boil, then simmer for 5-6 minutes, check the seasoning and strain.
- Spoon the kedgeree on to plates and top with the spring onion and garnish with the hard-boiled egg cut in wedges.
- Spoon around some curry sauce